A holiday celebration at our house would not be complete without a Glazed Ham, the ultimate versatile dish that is delicious served both warm or cold.
6-7kg Smoked gammon on the bone
2lt apple and raspberry juice then water to cover
2 cloves garlic unpeeled
2 celery sticks
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
Handful juniper berries
4 myrtle leaves
4 tablespoons honey
Dash of apple and raspberry juice
Steps on Christmas Eve:
- Put all the main ingredients into a large stock pot, add water until the ham is covered
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 hours. Leave to cool in the pan
Steps on Christmas Day
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Lift the ham out, remove the rind and most of the fat layer leaving a thin covering
- Score this in a diamond pattern and stud the criss-crosses with cloves
- Put the glaze ingredients in a pan and let them form a syrup.
- Pour over the ham then put into the oven to glaze for 15-25 mins.
- Remove and leave to cool before carving
Tip: Use a disposable roasting dish for easy cleaning or line your roaster with foil (the syrup is messy).