I love baking Delia Smith’s Braised Red Cabbage with Apples as the spices make the house smell Christmassy while it’s cooking. This dish is lovely with leftover cold turkey/baked ham on Boxing Day. Keeps forever and freezes well too!
- 2lbs red cabbage shredded
- 1lb onions chopped
- 1lb cooking apples chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped very small
- ¼ whole nutmeg, freshly grated
- ¼ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ level teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2oz butter
- Salt & Pepper
Pre-heat overn to 130 degrees Celsius (fan oven).
- Mix the garlic, spices and sugar in a small bowl.
- In a large casserole (with a tight-fitting lid), arrange layer of cabbage seasoned with salt & pepper, followed by layer of onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar. Repeat until it’s all in.
- Pour the vinegar over the top and add dots of butter.
- Put the lid on the casserole and cook for 2-2 ½ hours.