One thing we learned during our cooking lessons with acclaimed Italian chef Franco Taruschio is that Italians never waste food! What we might normally discard, they find a home for in soups, casseroles, pies and other dishes. When we started to make his delicious asparagus lasagne, he taught us to keep the asparagus peelings to make this tasy asparagus soup. It’s perfect for the spring when the fresh asparagus starts to appear in the markets in Paris!
ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE
- 2 lbs asparagus trimmings, chopped up including some tips for garnish (3 per person)
- 1 leek including 2 inches of green top
- 1 baking potato
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Fresh tarragon leaves for garnish
- Put the asparagus trimmings in a saucepan, add the leek, potato and stock. Bring to boil and reduce heat, simmer partially covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup til smooth and put in clean pan.
- Add cream and tarragon, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- At the same time, cook the asparagus tips in lightly salted water.
- If the soup is too thick, add more stock.
- Serve with asparagus tips and a few tarragon leaves as garnish