When we're together, our family has adopted the French custom of having our main meal at lunchtime and having soup, a baguette and salad for dinner. We always have some cheese in the refrigerator to accompany the baguette if anyone wants a little more. This unusual combination of tomatoes and plums is delicious: a mixture of sour and natural sweetness. It's a perfect recipe for late summer because you can eat it chilled.
Tomato and Plum Soup
A delicious soup to be eaten hot or cold. It can also be frozen and saved for another time.
20 minutes to prepare; 25 minutes cooking time.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
45 g stoned red plums
450 g chopped tomatoes
300 ml (1/2 pint) tomato juice
575 ml (1 pint) chicken stock
Spring of thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and Pepper
1 Tbsp (15ml chopped parsley or 1 Tbsp crème fraîche (or sour cream) per bowl
1. In a large pan, heat oil, soften the onions without browning
2. Add all the ingredients except parsley and crème fraîche
3. Bring to a boil; simmer 25 minutes until plums are soft
4. Cool slightly, remove thyme spring and blend until smooth
5. Check seasoning: reheat or chill, whichever you prefer. Dollop crème fraîche or sour cream on each portion. Alternatively, serve with chopped green parsley.